What is seasoning?
Seasoning is simply layers of oil that is baked onto the pan, through a process called polymerisation. Over time, this builds to form a natural, non toxic, easy-release cooking surface that continues to get better with use. This ‘build-your-own’ seasoning is the only way to achieve a natural, non-toxic, non-stick surface.
There are two parts to seasoning: oven seasoning, for all over corrosion protection, and stove top seasoning, where you’ll begin to build your own non-stick surface. Below is our recommended guide for seasoning AUS-ION™ Satin pans.
For AUS-ION™ RAW Seasoning instructions, click here.
1. Preheat your pan/s in the oven to 90°C for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven (take care, it’ll be HOT!), and place on a heat-resistant surface.
2. With a lint free cloth or tough paper towel, wipe a very thin layer of oil over the entire pan. We recommend rice bran oil, though any cooking oil with a high smoke point can be used for seasoning. You only want the lightest layer possible - wipe on, then wipe off. The pan should look dry, like there is no oil left on the surface.Too much oil is one of the most common causes of weak, flaking, sticky or problematic seasoning.
3. Increase the oven temperature to 250°C. Place the pan upside down in the oven for 1.5 - 2 hours. Switch the oven off and without opening the door, leave the pan to cool in the oven for at least 30 minutes, or ideally overnight.
4. Repeat the oven seasoning process three or more times to establish a strong seasoning foundation for corrosion resistance. You will notice your pan start to darken in colour.
1. Heat pan slowly, gradually increasing the temperature to get your pan hot (AUS-ION is highly conductive so you won't need a high stovetop heat). Drop in a teaspoon of rice bran oil your choice of cooking/fat oil with a high smoke point and wipe the inside surfaces with a paper towel (use tongs for safety).
2. Continuously wipe the oil around the pan until the pan starts to smoke. Once smoking, continue to wipe for 20 seconds. The oil should be a very thin polish - no pools or lumps.
3. Remove from heat and cool for at least 1 minute.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 for 10-15 minutes, over two or more sessions, until the base is black, slick and oil repellent, or until you are satisfied with the pan’s non-stick performance.
For seasoning and cooking tips and tricks, visit: Seasoning FAQs. And if you're still 'stuck' (so to speak), please email us for one-on-one help from our awesome Solid service team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember: Seasoned iron is forever renewable. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Copyright © 2021 SOLIDTEKNICS PTY LTD. All Rights Reserved
E-commerce software by Neto