Seasoning is simply layers of oil that is baked onto the pan, through a process called polymerisation. Over time, this builds to form a natural, non toxic, easy-release cooking surface that continues to get better with use. This ‘build-your-own’ seasoning is the only way to achieve a natural, non-toxic, non-stick surface. A well-seasoned pan will be black in colour, though often patchy in reality. Looks aren’t important - our pans are made to be workhorses, not beauty queens!
There are two parts to seasoning: stove top seasoning, for quick touch ups to maintain your natural non-stick surface, and oven seasoning for all over corrosion protection.
Below is our recommended guide for seasoning AUS-ION™ pans.
Some additional quick stovetop seasoning can help to fast track your superior non stick surface; especially great for cooks who prefer to use little fats/oils. The beauty of seasoned iron is that it's forever renewable. Stovetop seasoning can also be great for maintenance at any time through your pan's life, when it needs a touch-up.
1. Heat pan slowly, gradually increasing the temperature to get your pan hot (AUS-ION is highly conductive so you won't need a high stovetop heat). Drop-in a teaspoon of rice bran oil or your choice of cooking/fat oil with a high smoke point*, and wipe the inside surfaces with a paper towel (use tongs for safety).
2. Continuously wipe the oil around the pan until the pan starts to smoke. Once smoking, continue to wipe for 20 seconds. The oil should be a very thin polish - no pools or lumps.
3. Remove from heat and cool for at least 1 minute.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 for 10-15 minutes, over two or more sessions, until the base is black, slick and oil repellent, or until you are satisfied with the pan’s non-stick performance.
5. Start cooking! Cook with plenty of fats/oils to begin with and lower your heat. You'll soon find your cooking groove on your new forever pan!
*We recommend rice bran oil for best results, though any cooking oil or fat with a high smoke point can work well, such as grapeseed oil, flaxseed oil, canola oil, lard etc. Olive oil is not good for seasoning due to its low smoke point. For cooking, you can use any oil/fat of choice.
1. Preheat your pan/s in the oven to 90°C for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven (take care, it’ll be HOT!), and place on a heat-resistant surface.
2. With a lint-free cloth or tough paper towel (avoid microfibre as it is synthetic and made from plastic, consider an old cotton t-shirt, tea towel or even a pillowcase), wipe a very thin layer of oil over the entire pan. We recommend rice bran oil, though any cooking oil with a high smoke point can be used for seasoning. You only want the lightest layer possible - wipe on, then wipe off. The pan should look dry, like there is no oil left on the surface. Too much oil is one of the most common causes of weak, flaking, sticky or problematic seasoning.
3. Increase the oven temperature to 250°C. Place the pan upside down in the oven for 1.5 - 2 hours. Switch the oven off and without opening the door, leave the pan to cool in the oven for at least 30 minutes, or ideally overnight.
4. Repeat the oven seasoning process three or more times to establish a strong seasoning foundation for corrosion resistance. You will notice your pan start to darken in colour.
A well-seasoned pan will often patchy in reality. Seasoning will change overtime, and will continue to get better the more you cook. Looks aren’t important - our pans are built for performance! Below is a photo of our founder Mark Henry's pans from his home collection!
For seasoning and cooking tips and tricks, visit: Seasoning FAQs. If you still haven't found what you’re looking for, please email us for one-on-one help from our awesome Solid customer service team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember: Seasoned iron is forever renewable. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Wondering what is the way to season your AUS-ION™ Baking Tray or Roasting Pan? Check out our seasoning guide for these particular pieces below:
Do you own some of our previous RAW and SATIN AUS-ION™ pieces? You can find their specific seasoning guides below:
Copyright © 2024 SOLIDTEKNICS PTY LTD. All Rights Reserved
ABN: 17600300481. E-commerce software by Neto
In the spirit of reconciliation Solidteknics acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.