Seasoning is simply layers of oil that is baked onto the pan, through a process called polymerisation. Over time, this builds to form a natural, non toxic, easy-release cooking surface that continues to get better with use. This ‘build-your-own’ seasoning is the only way to achieve a natural, non-toxic, non-stick surface. A well-seasoned pan will be dark in colour, though often patchy in reality. It's not about how they look - what's important is how they cook!
Remember: Quenched™ is real, natural seasoning. It is not a synthetic coating. It will change and develop as you cook! Like all natural, seasoned iron pans, acidic foods can strip the seasoning. But don't worry, it's always an easy fix! Just follow our stovetop seasoning instructions below to build your seasoning back up quickly, and keep cooking.
A well seasoned pan is often patchy in reality. It's all about performance! Seasoning is forever renewable. If you get "stuck", our Seasoning FAQs will help get you back on track.
Our new Quenched™ pans are seasoned, so you can just start cooking! Quenched™ pans have a strong seasoning foundation, so you can start cooking straight away without the fuss of seasoning. With the right balance of heat and fats, you'll find they're near perfectly non-stick from the get go!
However, some additonal quick stovetop seasoning can help to fast track your superior non stick surface; especially great for cooks who prefer to use little fats/oils. The beauty of seasoned iron is that it's forever renewable. Stovetop seasoning can also be great for maintenance at at anytime through your pan's life, when it needs a touch-up.
1. Heat pan slowly, gradually increasing the temperature to get your pan hot (AUS-ION is highly conductive so you won't need a high stovetop heat). Drop in a teaspoon of rice bran oil your choice of cooking/fat oil with a high smoke point, and wipe the inside surfaces with a paper towel (use tongs for safety).
2. Continuously wipe the oil around the pan until the pan starts to smoke. Once smoking, continue to wipe for 20 seconds. The oil should be a very thin polish - no pools or lumps.
3. Remove from heat and cool for at least 1 minute.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 for 10-15 minutes, over two or more sessions, until the base is black, slick and oil repellent, or until you are satisfied with the pan’s non-stick performance.
5. Start cooking! Cook with plenty of fats/oils to begin with and lower your heat. You'll soon find your cooking groove on your new forever pan!
Copyright © 2021 SOLIDTEKNICS PTY LTD. All Rights Reserved
ABN: 17600300481. E-commerce software by Neto
In the spirit of reconciliation Solidteknics acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
We are currently experiencing shipping delays due to the high volumes and overload in the Australia Post network, as a result of the current COVID-19 lockdowns in NSW. We appreciate your patience and support during these unprecedented times.