Seasoning is simply layers of oil that is baked onto the pan, through a process called polymerisation. Over time, this builds to form a natural, easy-release cooking surface that continues to get better with use. This ‘build-your-own’ seasoning is the only way to achieve a natural, non-toxic, non-stick surface that is forever renewable. A well-seasoned pan will be black in colour, though often patchy in reality. Looks aren’t important - our pans are made to be workhorses, not beauty queens!
Below is our recommended seasoning guide for AUS-ION™ RAW pans. There are two parts to seasoning: oven seasoning, for all over corrosion protection, and stove top seasoning, where you’ll begin to build your own non-stick surface. Ultimately, it's up to you how much seasoning you do. Some people choose to do very little, and let their seasoning build up naturally through cooking. The choice is yours!
For AUS-ION™ SATIN Seasoning instructions, click here.
AUS-ION™ Baking Trays
For AUS-ION™ Baking Tray seasoning instructions, CLICK HERE.
Please note, baking trays are for OVEN USE ONLY. DO NOT STOVETOP SEASON. Baking trays come dipped in a light layer of rice bran oil.
RAW General - coated in a light layer of non-toxic beeswax for protection. These are all the RAW pans available on our online store. Go to Step 1: Remove Beeswax Coating
There are two methods to remove the beeswax coating - the oven method or boiling water method.
Oven Method (recommended):
Preheat your oven to 80°C (no hotter as beeswax is potentially flammable over 100°C). Place your pan upside down in the oven on a tray lined with greaseproof paper to catch drips, and heat for 10 minutes or until the beeswax has melted. Remove your pan from the oven (careful, it will be hot!), and place on a heat-resistant surface.
Wipe the pan all over with a cotton or tough paper towel to remove as much of the melted wax as possible.
Boiling Water Method: Pour boiling water all over the pan to strip the wax. Do this outside to avoid getting wax down your drain and be careful!
Once your pan is wax-free (or you have a Lightning RAW pan), ‘key’, or roughen the surface all over. This helps the seasoning bond to the pan. Abrasive pads such as fine sandpaper (400 or 600 grit), or fine steel wool work well. Roughen up the entire surface, including the base and handle.
Don’t worry, you can’t damage AUS-ION™ - this scouring will only provide the seasoning with a better ‘grip’. This can greatly improve the evenness and strength of the initial seasoning foundation.
1. Preheat your pan/s in the oven to 90°C for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven (take care, it’ll be HOT!), and place on a heat-resistant surface.
2. With a lint free cloth or tough paper towel, wipe a very thin layer of oil over the entire pan. We recommend rice bran oil or use our IronLove™ Seasoning Conditioner Bar (if you have one), though any cooking oil or fat with a high smoke point can be used for seasoning.
You only want the lightest layer possible - wipe on, then wipe off. The pan should look dry, like there is no oil left on the surface.
This step is important, too much oil is one of the most common causes of weak, flaking, sticky or problematic seasoning.
3. Increase the oven temperature to 250°C. Place the pan upside down in the oven for 1.5 - 2 hours. Switch the oven off and without opening the door, leave the pan to cool in the oven for at least 30 minutes, or ideally overnight. Barbecues are ideal for seasoning, keeping any smoke outdoors.
4. Repeat the oven seasoning process 1-3 times to establish a strong seasoning foundation for corrosion resistance. You will notice your pan start to darken in colour.
1. Heat pan slowly, gradually increasing the temperature to get your pan hot (AUS-ION is highly conductive so you won't need a high stovetop heat). Drop in a teaspoon of rice bran oil or use a light smear of an IronLove™ Seasoning Conditioner Bar (if you have one), otherwise you can use your choice of cooking oil/fat with a high smoke point) and wipe the inside surfaces with a paper towel (use tongs for safety).
2. Continuously wipe the oil around the pan until the pan starts to smoke. Once smoking, continue to wipe for 20 seconds. The oil should be a very thin polish - no pools or lumps.
3. Remove from heat and cool for at least 1 minute.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 for 10-15 minutes, over two or more sessions, until the base is black, slick and oil repellent, or until you are satisfied with the pan’s non-stick performance.
If you're still 'stuck' (so to speak), please email us for one-on-one help from our awesome Solid service team: email@example.com
Remember: Seasoned iron is forever renewable. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Copyright © 2021 SOLIDTEKNICS PTY LTD. All Rights Reserved
ABN: 17600300481. E-commerce software by Neto
In the spirit of reconciliation Solidteknics acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
We are currently experiencing shipping delays due to the high volumes and overload in the Australia Post network, as a result of the current COVID-19 lockdowns in NSW. We appreciate your patience and support during these unprecedented times.