Seasoning is simply layers of oil that is baked onto the pan, through a process called polymerisation. Over time, this builds to form a natural, easy-release cooking surface that continues to get better with use. This ‘build-your-own’ seasoning is the only way to achieve a natural, non-toxic, non-stick surface that is forever renewable.
Please note, baking trays are for OVEN USE ONLY. DO NOT STOVETOP SEASON, or use on a stovetop.
Below is our recommended seasoning guide for AUS-ION™ Baking Trays only - our Baking Trays do not require seasoning.
Our Quenched™ Iron Baking Trays have been seasoned and are ready to use, straight out of the box! Remember, this is not a synthetic coating - this is real, natural seasoning that will continue to change and improve as you cook/bake.
We recommend greasing the tray as this will continue to improve your seasoning foundation. If at any time you wish to re-season your tray, just follow the steps below.
You'll find some handy FAQs and cleaning and care instructions at the bottom of this page.
1. Preheat your pan/s in the oven to 90°C for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven (take care, it’ll be HOT!), and place on a heat-resistant surface.
2. With a lint-free cloth or tough paper towel (avoid microfibre as it is synthetic and made from plastic, consider an old cotton t-shirt, tea towel or even a pillowcase), wipe a very thin layer of oil over the entire tray. We recommend rice bran oil, though any cooking oil or fat with a high smoke point can be used for seasoning. You only want the lightest layer possible - wipe on, then wipe off. The pan should look dry like there is no oil left on the surface. Too much oil is one of the most common causes of weak, flaking, sticky or problematic seasoning.
3. Increase the oven temperature to 250°C. Place the tray upside down in the oven for 1.5 - 2 hours. Switch the oven off and without opening the door, leave the pan to cool in the oven for at least 30 minutes, or ideally overnight.
4. Repeat the oven seasoning process 1-3 times to establish a strong seasoning foundation for corrosion resistance. You will notice your tray start to darken in colour.
5. Start baking! We recommend greasing the tray with a light layer of butter or oil.
Copyright © 2022 SOLIDTEKNICS PTY LTD. All Rights Reserved
ABN: 17600300481. E-commerce software by Neto
In the spirit of reconciliation Solidteknics acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.