Seasoning is simply layers of oil that is baked onto the pan, through a process called polymerisation. Over time, this builds to form a natural, easy-release cooking surface that continues to get better with use. This ‘build-your-own’ seasoning is the only way to achieve a natural, non-toxic, non-stick surface that is forever renewable.
Please note, baking trays are for OVEN USE ONLY. DO NOT STOVETOP SEASON, or use on a stovetop. Baking trays come dipped in a light layer of rice bran oil so there is no need for beeswax removal.
Below is our recommended seasoning guide for AUS-ION™ Baking Trays only - our Baking Trays do not require seasoning.
'Key’, or roughen the surface all over. This helps the seasoning bond to the pan. Abrasive pads such as fine sandpaper (400 or 600 grit), or fine steel wool work well. Roughen up the entire surface, both the top and underside of the tray.
Don’t worry, you can’t damage AUS-ION™ - this scouring will only provide the seasoning with a better ‘grip’. This can greatly improve the evenness and strength of the initial seasoning foundation.
1. Preheat your pan/s in the oven to 90°C for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven (take care, it’ll be HOT!), and place on a heat-resistant surface.
2. With a lint free cloth or tough paper towel, wipe a very thin layer of oil over the entire tray. We recommend rice bran oil, though any cooking oil or fat with a high smoke point can be used for seasoning. You only want the lightest layer possible - wipe on, then wipe off. The pan should look dry, like there is no oil left on the surface. Too much oil is one of the most common causes of weak, flaking, sticky or problematic seasoning.
3. Increase the oven temperature to 250°C. Place the tray upside down in the oven for 1.5 - 2 hours. Switch the oven off and without opening the door, leave the pan to cool in the oven for at least 30 minutes, or ideally overnight.
4. Repeat the oven seasoning process 1-3 times to establish a strong seasoning foundation for corrosion resistance. You will notice your tray start to darken in colour.
5. Start baking! We recommend greasing the tray with a light layer of butter or oil.
Copyright © 2020 SOLIDTEKNICS PTY LTD. All Rights Reserved
E-commerce software by Neto
We are open and fully operational during the COVID-19 crisis.