AUS-ION™ 'Satin' 26cm Wrought Iron Skillet
Seamless 1-piece Australian Iron Professional Cookware
AUS-ION™ 'Satin' 26cm ‘workhorse’ Chef’s Skillet. 3mm thick wrought iron for even heating. Seamless, one-piece, rivet-free construction for improved hygiene and multi-century durability, with other attributes and innovations as per below. 3mm thick for even heating - Induction compatible.
Each pan is engraved with the month and year of manufacture for heirloom collectibility.
L 53cm, Diam 26cm, H at handle 10cm, H of bowl 4.3cm, 1.6kg
AUS-ION™ Australian-made wrought iron professional cookware is perfect for everyday oil/fat-based frying, grilling, etc. AUS-ION™ cooks and seasons like all bare cast iron cookware, but is half the weight. Seasoned iron is the only known non-toxic and forever-renewable non-stick. All other non-stick cookware is made with toxic and/or disposable synthetic coatings.
Please ensure you are familiar with our seasoning and care instructions here before purchase.
What is 'Satin?'
'Satin' refers to the surface finish: Shot-peened and lightly pre-seasoned all over, with no additional anti-corrosion coating to remove prior to use. The textured 'Satin' finish makes seasoning easier (the rough surface grips seasoning better when the pan is new, making them easier for inexperienced seasoners). With shot peening, we found a way to replicate cast iron's ease of seasoning in our lighter wrought-iron pans.
Shot peening is also known as shot blasting. Thousands of small steel balls are fired at the surface at extreme velocities to indent (peen) the surface without removing metal. It is not an abrasive process like sand or grit blasting.
Peening leaves a minutely hammered surface that is perfect for anchoring seasoning in the 'craters', while not being sharp enough to jag food on the 'hills'.
What is this seasoning you speak of?
If you are new to iron cookware seasoning is basically ‘build your own’ natural non-stick and it is the reason why bare iron cookware can become non-stick without toxic and/or disposable synthetic coatings. It involves a process called polymerisation whereby oil and fat is transformed by heat and bonds to the iron, creating a non-toxic natural non-stick surface that you build and maintain yourself over time. If you cook with fats and oils and wash carefully, your natural non-stick will keep renewing for many lifetimes. Your pan will naturally darken in colour as the seasoning develops.
Natural seasoning is healthy, non-toxic and forever renewable. Discover how easy it is to build-your-own healthy, non-stick and forever-renewable AUS-ION™ cooking surface here and never replace a non-stick pan again!
AUS-ION™ features and benefits at a glance:
- Ergonomic handle
- Venting in the neck to dissipate heat and reduce heat transfer at the grip for cooler handing with regular use.
- World-first One-piece, rivet & weld-free construction for improved hygiene & durability (patents pending) - no food trapped around rivets, no wobbly handles ever.
- Suitable for induction and any cooktop/oven/flame source (except microwave)
- Build your own natural seasoning to make these pans very nonstick. Traditional oil-based seasoning is healthy, toxin-free, and forever renewable – just like cast iron, only ½ the weight. Watch the videos to see how easy it is here: http://www.solidteknics.com/ironcare
- Multi-century warranty (single-piece construction, no coatings, thick & tough): http://www.solidteknics.com/warranty/ Not a marketing gimmick, just solid engineering.
SOLIDTEKNICS AUS-ION™ wrought iron (low-carbon steel), and nöni™ ferritic stainless steel cookware is the only two production cookware ranges made in Australia. Both ranges are non-toxic, healthy, sustainable, and multi-century durable. AUS-ION™ and nöni™ are also World-first seamless, rivet-free, 1-piece wrought pans, with patents pending.
Ideally, every cook interested in healthy, non-toxic, and sustainable cooking will have a mixture of iron and stainless steel pans in the kitchen, because each has its strengths for different types of cooking:
1. AUS-ION™ Australian-made wrought iron professional cookware is perfect for everyday oil/fat-based frying, grilling, etc. AUS-ION™ cooks and seasons like all bare cast iron cookware, but is half the weight. Seasoned iron is the only known non-toxic and forever-renewable non-stick. All other non-stick cookware is made with toxic and/or disposable synthetic coatings.
2. Our new conductive solid ferritic nöni™ stainless steel range is perfect for all liquid boiling, slow cooking, acidic sauces, and is very low maintenance.....and indestructible.
Both ranges are designed to work together as a complete set of complementary pans, on any heat source.
Please familiarise yourself with our Seasoning and Care instructions here before purchase, especially if you are new to bare iron cookware.
For deliveries outside of the US, New Zealand and Australia, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your country, we can quote the shipping and add the destination.
FantasticBy: Katherine on 6 October 2020Brought this as a gift for my son and by all accounts it’s a winner.
AmazingBy: Sasha on 8 September 2020I bought this pan for my friend as it was her 40th and she only had a super crappy pan to use before. She is so happy with it’s non stick capabilities and now another friend wants one
The last skillet you will buyBy: Artem on 3 September 2020This is the last skillet you will buy (well, in a particular size), the "satin" finish is just brilliant, so easy to season. My previous "top of the line" "non-stick" pan lasted for 4 month, never overheated and used with wooden utensils only. It was similar price to `AUS-ION` skillet, but now it's in the recycling bin. Once you try AUS-ION™ 'Satin' you can 't go back.
Great PanBy: Bill Lewis on 2 September 2020Best frying pan I've owned. Works great on our induction cook top.You have to be careful not to use high settings because it heats up so quickly. Easy to clean.
Beautiful qualityBy: Jess on 27 May 2020I am really happy with my skillet. The seasoning was a bit of a process but I followed the clear instructions and I am thrilled with the results. The first thing I cooked was scrambled eggs. I thought this might be too sticky for my immature seasoning but the pan was superb. This is a really quality product and I look forward to using it for years to come.